- Directed by: Laurent Hasse
- Duration: 94′
- Produced by: La Bascule and Sombrero&Co
Nothing was ever planned nor foreseen. He left home, on a winter morning, wishing to cross France, walking alone from South to North. Wandering, willing to break with his bounds and habits, he left to take a fresh look upon the territory and the dreams and the daily life of its inhabitants.
He was trusting his luck to meet new people and to reach his only aim : HAPPINESS
Without preparation, and carrying only a backpack and a camera, the documentary filmmaker Laurent Hasse hiked from the French Pyrenees to the coast of northern France. "Hiking is a pleasure, and that pleasure is the subject of this film. Every encounter is an encouragement, as if everyone is thinking of me as I travel on." Happiness ... Promised Land is a road movie at walking pace, with Hasse's unplanned and openhearted encounters with his compatriots determining the structure. He has one important central question: what's your definition of happiness? And it turns out to be a tough question to answer. A wide range of people have a go, though, including a bar owner, a baker, some soldiers, a monk, a couple of housewives, and Santa Claus. This rich palette of perspectives that Hasse collects shows that optimists tend to find happiness close to home - although sometimes you have to have traveled to find out that that's where it is. The pessimists tend to view happiness as something fragile, or else as pure egocentricity - because how can you be happy when you know that others are suffering? Happiness ... Promised Land balances between common truths about everyday happiness and existential reflection.
- Title: Le Bonheur... Terre promise
- International title: Happiness...promised land
- Production year: 2011
- Country of production: France
- Duration: 94'
- Versions available: french, english, spanish
- Written, walked, filmed and directed by: Laurent Hasse
- Commented by: Laurent Hasse - with the help of Rania Meziani & Annick Hurst
- Editing: Matthieu Augustin
- Sound editing: Xavier Thibault - SONOSAPIENS
- Original music: Nicolas Repac - Edition NO FORMAT
- Calibration: Fred Ricci - CF STUDIO
- Mixing: Jean-Marc Schick - L’ATELIER SONORE
- Production: LA BASCULE - Stéphane Bubel, assisté de Kerstin Wischy
- Coproduction: SOMBRERO&CO - Patrick Villeneuve, assisté de Anne Samolany
- With the support of La SCAM « Bourse Brouillon d'un rêve », the Lorraine region - aide à la production et au développement, le Pôle Image Picardie - aide au développement, in partnership with the Centre National de la Cinématographie.
- Distribution: DOCKS 66
- Programmation & partnership: Violaine Harchin & Aleksandra Cheuvreux
- Press: Jean-Bernard Emery
- Visa number: 130 174
- ISAN number: 0000-0002-CA6C-0000-7-0000-0000-G